Pages

Monday, July 13, 2015

Naming the Blog

As a novice blogger, I had to think long and hard about a catchy title for my newly-created blog. I tried a wide variety of creative and eye-catching titles only to settle on the best and simplest description of myself as a writer: the wordy teacher.  I am undeniably verbose, a quality that may prove challenging in the blogging world.
It is difficult, and sometimes utterly impossible, for me to say things succinctly.  I am drawn to detailed descriptions and intoxicating imagery. Family and friends accuse me of unnecessarily introducing each story before actually sharing it. My texts are generally paragraphs long and my emails are often longer.
Since I teach 8th grade English, I've decided blogging is an excellent method to inspire my students to write regularly, at least weekly, possibly daily. I'm slightly nervous and overwhelmed with the prospect of getting started with my own blog, particularly since one characteristic of all the blogs I've reviewed is that they get right to the point and move on. So, starting today, with this first post, I am setting a personal blogging goal which is to defy the title of my blog in a clever and inspirational, albeit concise, manner.  I'm not sure I'm off to a very good start ...

8 comments:

  1. YAY! You've written and published your first post! Woo Hoo!!! I can totally relate to this, "Family and friends accuse me of unnecessarily introducing each story..." That is so ME!!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not wordy. You are very descriptive, and you tell your stories using the plot diagram chart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it- too funny. I love your stories though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries...you're at 211 words, well BELOW the 500-1000 guideline.

    Looks great so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the structure of your sentences. They make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very engaging first post; it says so much about you, with wit and humility, and I know a lot of your fellow teachers see themselves in the description.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on starting your blog - wordy or not! I love the title. Blogging has truly changed my teaching and writing life, and I hope it does the same for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete